Series No. 4
Editor.--1929-1981 ; (predominant 1961-1981).-- 22 cm of textual records
Scope and content: This series documents Trueman's work as a cartoonist, reporter and editor with The Telegraph-Journal and The Evening Times-Globe. It consists of draft and published copies of editorials which were probably written by Trueman. It also consists of draft and published copies of his newspaper articles which were printed in the two Saint John dailies prior to his retirement (1971). In addition, the series includes copies of Trueman's newspaper cartoons as well as letters to the editor, office memos, minutes, and items submitted by readers for publication. Itineraries related to his press travels abroad are also included.
This series is comprised of 3 subseries: 1. Office Files, 2. Cartoons, and 3. Newspaper Articles and Special Series.
Subseries 1, Office Files consists primarily of materials that arrived with this fonds, but might otherwise be located in the offices of The Telegraph-Journal and The Evening Times-Globe. It includes office memos, minutes, editorials by Trueman, and articles submitted to the editor for publication in the two Saint John dailies.
Subseries 2, Cartoons includes photocopies of Trueman's early sports and political cartoons which were published in The Evening Times-Globe.
Subseries 3, Newspaper Articles and Special Series includes draft and published copies of articles which were written by Trueman while he was employed as a reporter and editor. Also included are materials related to his press travels to Britain and West Germany.
Of special interest in subseries 3 are two scrapbooks, both entitled "Canada and Britain -- Today and Tomorrow", which contain newspaper clippings of Trueman's "The Face of Britain Today" and "U.K. and the Common Market" feature series.
File arrangement is random.
Title based on the role of the creator.
Materials located in this series are from Trueman's personal files, not from his official files as editor.
Newspaper articles and columns written by Trueman and published in the two Saint John dailies following his retirement in 1971 are located in series 3, Articles and Columns.
Researchers should note that 69 notebooks (1946-1981 & n.d.) and 3 activity calendars (1977-1982, 1985-1990) which record story ideas, travel notes, research notes, interviews, and appointments are located in Box No. 25.
Series 4, Subseries No. 1
BOX NO. 27
1. Articles and poems submitted to editor
2. Articles and poems submitted to editor
3. Background Information - The Telegraph-Journal and The Evening Times-Globe (clippings)
4. Letters to Editor Trueman 1968-1970, n.d.
5. Editorials n.d. (by Trueman?, editor) draft
6. Editorials 1956-1969, n.d. (by Trueman?, editor) published
7. Editorials 1972, 1981, n.d. (by Trueman?, contributing editor) published
8. Reaction to editorial comment 1967
9. Minutes of Meetings 1944, 1945 - The Telegraph-Journal
(includes copy of memo "Re: Victory in Europe, Sept. 1944)
10. Office memos 1962-1969 (N.B. Publishing)
11. Office memos 1970-1979, n.d. (N.B. Publishing)
12. Pre-Inaugural Flight "Britannia", Montreal-Toronto-Winnipeg- Vancouver, 1959 for editors (schedules & mementos)
13. Post-Inaugural Flight - Montreal to Moscow, 1967 for editors (schedules & mementos)
14. Trueman, Stuart - career as editor (clippings)
15. Trueman, Stuart - published comments by Editor Trueman, 1968, n.d.
Series 4, Subseries No. 2
BOX NO. 27
16. Sports Cartoons 1929 & n.d. (photocopies)
17. Political Cartoons 1937 & n.d. (photocopies)
Series 4, Subseries No. 3
Newspaper Articles and Special Series
18. Articles published in The Telegraph-Journal and The Evening Times-Globe, 1935-1969 (by Trueman)
19. Article about Thornton W. Burgess 1963 (by Trueman)
20. Articles about Lord Beaverbrook 1961-1964 (by Trueman)
21. Column - "The Man on the Street" 1948-1978, n.d.
22. Series "Chignecto Canal", n.d. (by Trueman?)
23. Background information - series about Britain
24. Series "The Face of Britain Today" 1962, (drafts)
25. Series "The Face of Britain Today" 1962, published (clippings)
26. Series "UK and The Common Market" 1962, published (clippings)
27. Article - "The Common Market Again" 1967, published (clippings)
28. Series "Mood of Washington" 1961, published (clippings)
29. Draft/Notes - West Germany series
30. Series "West Germany Today" 1964, published (clippings)
31. Series "Expo '67" - 1967 & 1968, published (clippings)
32. Trip to Britain 1962 - Canadian Editors (itinerary)
33. Trip to Germany 1964 (itinerary)
34. Trip to Germany 1966 - Canadian Press Tour (itinerary)
35. Trip to Russia n.d. - Canadian businessmen (clippings)
Two scrapbooks entitled "Canada and Britain -- Today and Tomorrow" which contain Trueman's "The Face of Britain Today" and "U.K. and the Common Market" feature series (1962) OVERSIZE