The idea of the
European and North American Railway was conceived in 1850, with the
specific purpose of linking Portland, Maine, with Halifax, Nova Scotia,
to connect with incoming European ships. Although this line was
not built as initially conceived, the State of Maine and Provinces of
New Brunswick and Nova Scotia went ahead and constructed portions of
the proposed railway line. The New Brunswick and Nova Scotia
portions are listed below:
• Richmond to Truro; constructed between
• Saint John to
Shediac; completed 1860
• Fredericton Branch - Hartt’s Mills to
• Western Extension - South Bay to
McAdam and St.
• Eastern Extension - Moncton to Truro;
Western extension of the line between New Brunswick and Maine was
contracted out to a company headed up by William Parks. John A.
Poor was Parks’ counterpart in the American company in Maine. The
New Brunswick line was eventually connected to the Vanceboro-Bangor
line in Maine, in 1871.
November 1872 the Intercolonial Railway took over the European and
North American Railway, and extended it north from Moncton to
Rivière du Loup in Quebec. The line was completed in
Alan W. “Railways in New Brunswick”: MA Theses 1955 - University
New Brunswick. Folster, Hugh
H. “Story of Old New Brunswick Railways”: Collections of the New Brunswick
Historical Society #17 (1961).